Thursday, January 22, 2009

Beauty & Repulsion

A.) It was actually hard to find a piece that I would say is “bad art”. Sometimes the most childlike art or messy art has the greatest concept. It is hard to find pictures off the internet and fully understand the concept behind it. For the most part, I feel that concept plays a large roll in making a piece “good” or “bad”. I did find this photograph of a piece that actually produced by Pete Doherty. I am personally not a big fan of drawing with my own blood; actually I find it pretty creepy. I am open to many forms of art and a variety of media but there is obviously something very disturbing about drawing a picture of your ex-girlfriend in your own blood to signify the loss of love. I will give Pete Doherty credit though, at least he used his own blood!

As far as my “good” piece goes, I put the link to one of Julian Beever’s sidewalk chalk drawings. When I was in England a few summers ago I actually saw one of these is progress and was in awe. I think it is so fascinating how the artist brings her work to the public and is so willing to put so much detail in it, knowing it will ultimately be destroyed in a short time. It is true talent to be able to make a 2D drawing look so 3-dimensional. She shows control of her medium, depth, color, composition, and her concepts are quite interesting.

Bad Art
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2008/04/peteblood2.jpg

Good Art
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Peekabooh/globe.jpg

B.) I believe that Honorific Art is art that is made with quality craftsmanship and skill for the media. It draws the viewer in, provoking questions and excitement about the work and the artist. The piece should also use the elements and principles of design thoughtfully (well thought out and with intention). To make the art honorable it most entice a feeling of greatness, not just “good”.

C.) I feel that the classificatory definition of art is a standard of what is allowed to be called art. It is when the majority of the viewing public can see that the artist made the art with intent and understanding and they feel that it is worthy of being called art. In other words, classificatory definition of art is what makes art, well art.

D.) When talking about art and aesthetics, I am most uncomfortable when I am discussing a piece that I feel I don’t have enough knowledge about. I wish I knew more about specific artists and the different types of art being made. I am usually fairly comfortable when discussing the principles or elements of design used in the work though. I think I will become more comfortable in discussing works of art once I have taken some art history classes because then I will feel more knowledgeable about the history. The drawing website we are using in this class will also help me to become more familiar with a variety of artists. Going to more galleries will also help strengthen my understanding and appreciation along with the more pieces I make and the various things I will learn throughout college.

E) I picked “Portrait of Fisher Stevens II” by Chambliss Giobbi because I feel that his figurative works portray repulsion at first glace but with closer examination, I am able to find beauty. His process is completely physiological and tedious; he has some very provocative imagines in his portfolio. When I think of beauty, I tend to lean more towards expressing inner beauty, not relying on outer beauty. I think this is something that his collages show; mutation can be complex and beautiful. As in my drawing, at first glance it might just look like a muscular man and some may think that that is beautiful but if you look deeper there is rage and abuse, both very repulsive behaviors.

1 comment:

  1. good and honest responses. your definitions of honorific and classificatory art need to be more specific - good try. good examples of good and bad art.

    ReplyDelete