Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Anne Pearce

I really enjoyed looking at Anne Pearce’s work and hearing the stories behind each piece. I somewhat underestimated the powerful presence of her work when looking at the slides. When she showed her work in class the next day, I was better able to see the fine detail and the textural differences in the glitter pen and the highlighter and the ink. I wish I could have seen one of her vellum “conversation” pieces in person. Those were probably one of my favorite series’ that I saw in the powerpoint. I think that I would like to work with vellum more in the future, using a style similar to what I have been doing in this current project. I will be quite honest, I was not able to pick up on the concept of some of her work but it was still very interesting to look at and her style was clearly portrayed. I also really liked the thought of doing collaborative pieces with another artist. It was interesting to see how the style of both artists was portrayed and how they were able to work together to great strong and very expressional pieces.

She was a very inspirational person to be around. Her advice has helped me to open up on our current project. I like how she talked about how sometimes you just need to sit down and draw and how sometimes she has no idea where that piece is going to go, she just starts with lines. She is a true example of doing what you love and making it work into your lifestyle. I love how honest she was and how she has adapted her work to fit into her house and the life that she wants to live. I have really enjoyed Drawing II this semester; I have learned so much about myself as an artist and about my craft. I have been able to think through a concept and then draw, as well as just freeing myself and letting the process take form. I have been able to relate drawing into the medium that I love most; ceramics.

No comments:

Post a Comment