Sunday, April 5, 2009

Formalism

A.) To me, formalism is going back to the basics of the aesthetic process. It is focusing on using the elements and principles of design such as line, shape, color, etc. instead of focusing on the concept. The structural elements and the technique become superior to the context of the work.

B.) I would have to say that Piet Mondrian’s work most closely resembles the work that I consider to be the basis of formalism. It includes line, shape, color, space, rhythm, etc. It focuses on the process and the technique rather than on a definite concept. Mondrain’s work is simplistic and beautiful but yet rich and interesting. When I think of formalism, I think about the artist adhering to the basics and focusing on the principles. I don’t think that formalism has to be abstract all the time though; take Malevich’s human figures for example. But overall, I think some of the most successful formalistic works are mainly abstract pieces.

C.) I guess I kind of already went of that with Piet Mondrian’s work in the paragraph before but I will elaborate on that now. I like the way that Piet uses the use of line to create shape and form and to add rhythm/repetition. Many of his pieces contain a majority of the principles and elements of design without even have a recognizable subject. His body of work is definitely similar in style and as far as I know has a very minimal concept. The process itself becomes the concept. To me, the theory of art known as formalism is actually quite broad. For example, Malevich’s work is a lot more conceptual but still sticks to the basics by demonstrating the uses of line, shape, color, texture, and repetition. His pieces are usually more objective instead of abstract but they still portray a scene of aesthetic value and simplicity.

D.) I chose Cynthia Ona Innis s the artist whose work relates to what I am doing on this project right now. She uses mixed media like ink, paint, stains etc. On this project I am using ink, pastels, charcoal, and pen. Many of her works portray shapes in a range of colors like “healthy greens, hearty stained reds, earthy browns that suggest a physical and botanical reference amidst an environment also caught in flux.” A abstract natural feel is the concept that I am working on right now; I chose the word Place. Cynthia has a beautiful way of portraying texture in her work and rhythm which are two principles I am working on in this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment